Following in the footsteps of monks and others who have lived and prayed here for centuries, we draw our energy from the inspirational and sacred landscape of mountains, valleys and lakes and open ourselves to its healing and restoring power. We are conscious that in this place we walk on holy ground.
“Beauty will save the world.” (Dostoyevsky)
Here at Glendalough Hermitage Centre pilgrims of all persuasions will find a welcome. In an atmosphere of peace and tranquillity, people from different walks of life come to be renewed in body, mind and spirit. We invite you to come and stay with us for a short while or for longer. Here you will find space to reflect, to pray, to rest and be still and to journey inwards. You will also have freedom to follow your own path to wholeness and holiness. The journey into solitude takes place in the company of other pilgrims and, where needed, spiritual support is available.
“Surely God was in this place and I never knew.” (Gen 28:16)
We hope that all who come will find “the peace of God that surpasses all understanding” (Phil 4:7). May your visit to this sacred place be blessed.
Who is the hermitage experience for?
- Need time to rest and be still
- Experience a hunger for God
- Seek to open your heart to yourself and to others
- Need to be healed or renewed in body, mind or spirit
- Want to walk the hills and valleys and live close to nature
- Are looking for peace
- Are searching for meaning
- Want to explore the mystery of being human
- Wish to dwell in the beauty of creation
- Want to follow in the footsteps of St. Kevin and St. Laurence and pilgrims down the centuries
- Just want to pray, meditate, contemplate in your own time and in your own way
then the hermitage experience is for you.
No previous experience is necessary, you do not have to belong to any particular spiritual tradition – the only pre-condition is that you are on your own personal and spiritual journey. If this is the case, you will be most welcome here and the hermitage experience has much to offer you.